Tuesday, December 9, 2008

WHEN CANCER CAME TO CALL - A POEM BY ANNE ORCHARD

When Cancer Came To Call

There was no sign or warning
No writing on the wall
A day like any other …
When cancer came to call

It grew inside your body
A tumour, starting small
In time the doctor told you
That cancer came to call

I fight against the knowing
“It can’t be true,” I bawl
But I can’t mend you, though I try
For cancer came to call

The things I thought were certain
Seen in my “crystal ball”
Now lay, hopes dashed and broken
Since cancer came to call

I let go of my feelings
Let all my barriers fall
I must make my own journey
As cancer came to call

I work with my emotions,
The message from them all
Allows me my own healing,
Glad cancer came to call

A sense of peace comes on me
I am as one with all
My love for you is deeper
Now cancer came to call

And as my life moves forwards
I find I’m standing tall
My days are filled with meaning
Since cancer came to call

© 2008, Anne Orchard
Author: Their Cancer – Your Journey

You can find out more about Anne Orchard and her book -
'Their Cancer - Your Journey : A Traveller's Guide for Carers, Family and Friends' by going to Families Facing Cancer or go back to Poetry about Cancer

0 comments: